Thursday, September 27, 2007

Shakeapeare Wallah!

I don’t even know what to say about my experience watching this movie. I don’t mind it’s a black and white movie. To be honest, I don’t know why did Dr. Edwin wanted us to watch this movie. I try to see which play relates to this movie. Pygmalion-we’ve watched the movie, King Lear- I don’t think so, Anike or Antigone-Nope!, A Streetcar Named Desire- Absolutely not! So, why did we watch it? I guess it’s for experience. I was surprised and amazed at the same time when I found out that this is actually an Indian movie with a twist of Shakespeareans plays embedded here and there. Wow, how did they come up with the idea to do this? This movie is about a family who are theatre performers that performs only Shakespearen plays. They are always on the road as they move from one place to another to perform their plays. It also showed the trouble, problems and conflicts that they experienced in life and their work while from moving one place to another. However, I have problem understanding the plot of the movie. I feel confused and got lost sometimes. And the bad audio system made it worse because I can’t hear what the characters say. I was frustrated with the way the movie ended. It’s what I called the “That’s it!” type of ending. I feel like watching a movie and then somebody stopped it in the middle of me watching it. It’s an abrupt end. I wish the movie could go on a little bit more and show what happened to the hero of the movie or show us what happened to the heroin after she reached London. I guess the others feel the same hearing the groaning as the play ends. On the whole, I think Shakespeare Wallah is creative movie but it is too.. long that I feel really tired by the end of it.

1 comment:

Elizabeth Anne said...

The "Shakeapeare Walla" movie had many disruptions and it was indeed very frustrating for us not to enjoy it. But I was amazed to see Shashi Kapoor act in an English movie which had a twist of Shakespeare. Moreover, it was quite an eye popping experience to see a Hindi actor indulging in hot and steamy kissing scenes with a white woman. I bet the whole of India must have shook in shock when a darling of Bollywood makes a daring splash in Hollywood.