Tuesday, September 25, 2007

King Lear-The End

Ok, I need a second to catch my breath!...phew…here’s the thing, we’ve finally finished reading King Lear…(clap..clap...) I’m sitting in front of the PC with a big grin on my face enjoying the moment while typing my experience reading this play. All in all, I think King Lear is a play that is filled with tragedy, cruelty, betrayal and injustice but at the same time it also portrays some act of love, honor, loyalty, humility and kindness. Even though this play is quite hard to understand because of the language, but I actually enjoyed reading it. Shakespeare really knows how to do his wri-“thing”! I was really impressed by the way he wrote this play. As the play develops, the plot just keeps on getting worse and it never fails to make me feel surprised and horrified by every twist he adds on. I really liked the scene where Gloucester was being blinded by the evil Cornwall. I totally didn’t see that coming. It was really brutal and graphic. Another twist that I liked in this play is the love triangle between Goneril, Edmund and Regan. I kind of find it funny. Here this 3 people still manage some time to commit adultery in the middle of the preparation of an upcoming war. Well, that is only an opinion. I was a bit disappointed with the way Lear died. I really thought that Lear would die of suicide or was murdered…something tragic, especially, after going through all the sufferings that could make any other sane man to commit suicide. But I guess, his is too busy being a mad man to think of ending his own life. Overall, like the ending of the play. Even though, it’s not too long but the information given is sufficient enough to tell us what will happened next and what will happened is going to be something good. In the end, the ‘order’ is restored back.

1 comment:

Diana said...

Yeah, Chelsea, I was happy too....At last we manage to finish this incredible play. Don't worry, we still have another play to go...Shakespeare really potrayed his best when he manage to show many feelings in this play. There was war, love, jealousy and even loyalty all shown in just 5 acts.(WOW)...Chelsea, you liked that part where Gloucester being blinded??? I thought it was really gross to see someone's eyes being blinded and pulled out,,yuck..But eventually,I have to agree the part where these two sisters are caught in a love triangle with a traitor, funny isn't it? Anyway the play indeed taught me a lesson that i should never disobey parents as unexpected things may happen to you...I think everyone should agree on this, won't you?