Thursday, September 20, 2007

King Lear, here we come!

In our Drama class on the 10th September 2007, we started to discuss a new play titled King Lear. When I saw the book for the first time I went, ‘GULP!’… Could this book be any thicker? Then I thought, this is what Dr.Jaya called a ‘high-anxiety’ text. Then I opened the book and try to read the first page of the book. My reaction… ‘DOUBLE GULP!’. Boy, aren’t we going to have a great time studying King Lear. Let’s start with the language….I have 3 words of what I think of the language. Archaic, difficult, and ‘serious need of translation’. Thank goodness, as if understanding our need, the book comes with a translation notes for each page pf the play. Like what Dr. Edwin said, this book is indeed “Shakespeare for Dummies”. I had a great laugh every time I remember that line. Today, we read the play until Act 1 Scene 3. Based on what we have read so far, I found that it wasn’t as bad as what I think. I can ‘handle’ this book. I’m not saying that this is going to be an ‘easy ride’. Yes, the language is difficult to understand but with the provided notes and Dr. Edwin’s explanation, I think we will be fine. That is if one can stay alert the whole period of class. I read the synopsis of the story and I like it. I'm looking forward to finish reading this play and do the analysis.

1 comment:

Nur Wanira Bt Mohd Basri said...

Hi Chelsea...How's holiday? I enjoyed reading your blog especially this one on King Lear. It seemed as if we are having the same "DOUBLE GULP" disease when reading King Lear for the very first time. Now that we have completed the whole play, I personally think that it was not a bad experiece at all but a great one indeed. I liked the issues dealt by Shakespeare in this play such as ingratitudeness,pride, flattery and also the father-children relationships. It's amazing how the issues presented centuries ago were quite relevant to our current era. What an evergreen masterpiece indeed. Luckily the book that we bought(although it was designed for "Dummies" ha ha ha)was very helpful, reader friendly and easy to be read again and again.As you said, with the provided notes and detailed explanations given by Dr Edwin, King Lear should not be a problem to most of us, right? Till then, do take care and good luck in the up-coming final exam.Sayonara.