Monday, October 1, 2007

Simulated Teaching-Set Induction

Today, it was our group’s turn to do the simulated teaching doing the set induction for Antigone. My pair, Amadifilzah and I have prepared since last week to do this microteaching. We were nervous and happy at the same time, happy because we’re finally can get this over with and nervous because we’re scared if we messed up. Amadi started off first where she greets students and give instruction before we play the song and I’m taking over the second part that is asking questions about the song and discussing the answers. We had a small problem when playing the song in the laptop but that’s not because we’re not well-prepared but it’s because we’re not familiar how to use the laptop but luckily we didn’t took much time to sort the problem. Personally, I’m extremely disappointed with my performance. I was too nervous I guess. I didn’t handle well the part where I discuss the answers with students. When Dr. Edwin said ‘wiser’ is not a trait I didn’t know what else to say so I began to babble. Saying whatever crossed my mind at that moment. It was embarrassing when I thought back about it. I guess I need to learn how to deal with unexpected question and handle my nerve better. I learned a lot form simulated teaching sessions. I learned that a teacher needs to use materials that are up-to date and taking advantage of the use of technology so that lesson would be more interesting and can attract the students’ attention. Before the lesson starts, teacher must make sure that all teaching aids are ready to use and working. Teacher also needs to give clear instruction to students before they listen to the song and after the song teacher discusses the answer with students. When students answer the questions, teacher may ask the reason the student gave that particular answer to teacher. After the discussion, then only teacher introduces the lesson to students. Hopefully, I can do better for my next simulated teaching that is the presentation stage now that I learned a lot from the first session of simulated teaching.

No comments: