Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Welcome "Pygmalion"!

Today, we start to read and discuss a new play by George Bernard Shaw titled “Pygmalion”. I managed to read Act 1 a few days prior to our class today and I had the impression that this is an interesting play. The idea of ‘transforming a low-class flower girl into a duchess of the high-society’ by an impatient, insensitive, inconsiderate, to sum it up, by a pain–in-the-neck professor really appeals to me. I was excited to know what will happen in the end. Reading the play (Act 1) was fun because of the humour in the dialogues is really funny. I was also impressed by the way Shaw was able to write such informative and detailed conversation between the characters especially Prof. Higgins’ character and his (Higgins) knowledge of phonetics. Reading this play has also enlightened me many new information about language studies. I had no idea that one can actually make a living by becoming a phonetician. Their ability is really amazing; being able to tell people where they’re from by just listening to the way they speaks. Then I realized that this is only a play. Do these things really exist in real world? I guess I’m going to do a little research about this on the net. Anyway, real or not real, I still think that phonetician can be “cool” people! I’m looking forward to read the rest of the play and can’t wait to get back to it!

No comments: