Thursday, August 9, 2007

"Fate" as One of Antigone's theme

During our last lesson on Antigone last Wednesday(08/08/07), we were discussing about the theme of the play. I remember Dr.Edwin had asked us how can we relate "fate" to the theme of Antigone. He waited but nobody gave any answer then he moved on discussing about "Pygmalion". Actually, I had an answer but was not confident enough to speak it out as I thought it was not a good answer. Anyway, I feel that I need to tell it and hopefully will get some opinion about my answer from those who read this blog. The theme that I can think of, that can relate to "fate" in this play is, "Fate is unevitable" or "Fate is unchangable". In this play, "fate" refers to the prophecy that was told to Creon by Tiresias. Tiresias warns Creon about the downfall of him and Thebes if he ignores the prophecy and that was exactly what Creon did. He proceed to do whatever he did in the play, Later, he realized that Tiresias was right, he was wrong and tried to fix things but it was too late because "fate" had already started taking its course and nothing can stop it. No matter what the characters do to change or to avoid fate from happening was useless. There, that's it. I wished that I can do better than this but this is the best I can do to explain my answer. I just hope that when people read this, they will get my point. Even if they do not understand the elaboration, at least they understand what "Fate is unevitable/unchangable" meant. So if you have something to say about this topic, feel free to write your comment. I really would like to know what do you think about my point or about "fate" as Antigone's theme itself. Thank you.

4 comments:

lywen said...

After reading your suggestion of theme for “Antigone”, I beg to differ that this theme “Fate is inevitable” or “Fate is unchangeable” would not be suitable for this play. Fate is the consequence of one’s action, Creon turned away from Tiresias’s warning and at the end he had to take the consequence of his action. He can change his fate, can’t he? He can choose to follow the god’s law but not creating his own law. I understood that you said “fate” had already started taking its course and nothing can stop it, but I think we must look at fate from the very beginning of what Creon had done. He chose for his fate which at the end became irremediable. In my opinion, “Fate is the consequence of one’s action” would be the theme that I think about fate in Antigone.

lennymia niwin said...

When I read your blog Chelsea, I can’t stop myself from smiling. I’m also having the same situation as you during drama class. When Dr. Edwin is asking some questions I feel afraid and not confident enough to speak out the answer. I’m pretty sure that not only the both of us are facing the same problem since as you can see our class is so quiet when he is present.
You said that the theme in Antigone that can be relates to fate is fate is inevitable or unchangeable. I agree with you. Fate is destined and no one have the power to change it as everyone’s faith is already been written. Creon has challenged God and he put himself above the law of God. He did warn by Tiresias the future outcome of his foolish acts but he totally ignores it and finally he paid the price. He tried to change everything but it is too late. Creon is only a human who cannot alter the fortune. Definitely fate is inevitable or bound to happen and one of the themes in this play.

Amadifilzah Abindi said...

Well, I believe that everybody has different view about this play. As for me, I choose “The Price of Disobedience to God’s law” as the theme of Antigone.

This is from what I understand about the theme of Antigone. The first key scene that I can consider that leads to the theme that I have identified is when Antigone bravely goes against Creon’s law by burying Polyneices. Creon gives edict by forbidding Polyneices’ body to be given proper burial. This leads to Antigone’s unpredictable action to give her brother a proper burial. She thinks by giving Polyneices a burial will pursue the Gods law. The conflict becomes worse when Creon condemns Antigone to death as the punishment to go against Creaon’s proclamations. Tiresias do warns Creon about the bad prophecies that will happen to him. But Creon ignores Tiresias’ prophecy.

The conflict resolve tragically when Creon, as the king (who has power), suddenly lost everything and everyone who he loves as the cause of his own decision and greediness. After discussing the play, I understand that these scenes as mentioned above lead to the theme of “The price of disobedience to God’s law”. One thing that I always remember after discussing this play in class is that ‘As a human, NEVER challenge Gods law because you will NEVER win.’

chelsea said...

Hi, Amadi! Thank you for posting a comment on my blog. I appreciate it. I think you got me wrong. I’m not saying that the theme of “Fate” is the main theme in Antigone. I’m just saying that the theme of “Fate” could be one of the theme in Antigone. I wrote this blog in response to Dr. Edwin’s question during our last class discussing on Antigone in which we have discuss the main theme is “the price of disobedience of God’s law”. After discussing the main theme, he asked “do you think ‘fate’ could be the theme in Antigone?”. There was a long silence, nobody dared to answer. One of them was me, so this blog is actually my response to that particular question the he asked us that day. Anyway, I just feel like I need to explain the reason I wrote the blog. Thank you for sharing your view.