Friday, August 24, 2007

Pygmalion the Movie!

Today we watched the movie Pygmalion that was adapted from the play Pygmalion written by George Bernard Shaw. At first, I thought we were going to watch a colour movie so I was a bit disappointed when it’s actually a black and white movie. But then I realized, actually watching a black and white movie was not that bad at all. In fact, I should be grateful and appreciate that I had the opportunity to watch the first movie version of the play. I understand that George Bernard Shaw was also the director of the movie directing together with Leslie Howard the actor/director who also plays the main character, Prof. Henry Higgins in the movie. I found that the movie followed closely to the play. Well, there’s no surprise there because I read somewhere that Shaw was someone who is quite particular on maintaining the originality of his work especially if it’s going to be adapted into movies. If I’m not mistaken he would only give permission for his play to be adapted into movies or performed in theatre if the movie/theatre follows closely to the original work. Anyway, even though the movie was exactly like how the play was written, the only thing that was not similar in the play was the choice of actors and characters. I feel that the actor who plays Prof. Higgins is too young for the character and the thing with the actress who plays Eliza Dolittle whom I feel is too old to play the character. While the actors and actresses who played the rest of characters, Colonel Pickering, Mrs. Pearce, Mrs. Higgins, Mr. Doolittle is well-chosen. I like the ending of movie compared to the play. The ending suggest that Eliza will come back to Prof. Higgins and who knows they probably end up falling in love with each other.

No comments: